Sunday, August 29, 2010

Green Smoothies!

Green Smoothies are the best thing - my new favorite thing! They pack a punch of vitamins and minerals and other good stuff and they are filling, refreshing and give you lots of energy. Most people do not get enough greens in their diet, this is a great way to do that. Best of all they are quick and easy to make!

The recipe I use is simple. All you need is:
blender
measuring cup
Almond Breeze milk
water
greens (romaine, spinich, kale, collard greens)
1 banana
berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries any kind you want)
vanilla (optional)

Put 1/2 a cup of the Almond Breeze and 1/2 cup of water in the blender. Add about three of four leafs of the romaine or equivalent of other greens and blend. I have found that I can't add all the greens at once with my blender so I do a few at a time and add more. That way I can see how much greens I have blended too.  I use enough to give me about 2 cups of the greens, milk and water blended in the blender. You can certainly use more or less.

I use a combination of greens. Usually romaine with a little kale and collard greens. Or I might use spinach instead of the romaine, it just depends on what I feel like having.

Once the greens are blended you can add the banana. Through trial and error I find that I like one banana in mine. Any more than that and the banana flavor stays too strong. I like the taste of the berries. Add one banana and blend with the green mixture.

Then add the berries. I usually use about 1 1/2 cups in mine. Play around and see what you like. Add a teaspoon of vanilla (optional). Blend, pour, drink.


Yum!
Yes, it still looks green with a tint of whatever else you put in, I used strawberries in the above picture. But.....all you taste are the berries you put in!!

No comments: