Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Annual or Not So Annual Kitchen Cabinet Cleanout....

So last night I performed a bit of a daunting task. I cleaned out the cupboards. You know that exercise when you throw out all the old, expired, stale, items that you wonder why you bought in the first place.

I guess because it was supposed to be good for you. 
            It's only good for you if you eat it.

It was on sale
Buying an item on sale is only a bargain if you were going to buy it anyway. If you buy it just because it is on sale then you spent money you wouldn't have spent to begin with.
And you still have to eat it! 

Then there is my favorite reason.  
    It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Nothing I took out was gross which is good, but that is bad because I have obviously been buying too much processed food. How old was the stuff?  I think the oldest item (one item) expired sometime in the fourth quarter of 2005. There were numerous items with expirations in 2006 and 2007 and then a few from 2008. 

But have you noticed when you buy something at the store these days it usually will be expired in a year or less. Often times it expires within 6 months, and I'm referring to things like canned goods. It used to be that you could buy canned goods and the expiration date would be 4 years from now. What has happened? Are the products going onto store shelves that much later in their shelf life? Are the expiration dates shorter - too much botulism popping up with the old date ranges? What's the deal?

I made Reese a couple of crate pad/beds last week. Now all she needs is a new crate for the car.

I stole this idea from a friends facebook status but thought it would be a good way to judge how many people I know are reading this. If  they read it I'm sure I will hear about it so here goes......

Having the whole family together to celebrate a birthday - Fun!
Watching the whole family do the Wii Hula Hoop - Hysterical!
Having it on video for blackmail - Priceless!

No comments: